CLARIFICATION ON SPEAKERSHIP OF ENUGU STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY
1. Labour Party won 14 out of 24 House of Assembly sits in ENUGU State, hence we are a clear majority
2. All our members elect are first timers to the chamber.
3. Few weeks to the inauguration of the House , we noticed that PDP was making moves to produce the speaker and deputy speaker of ENUGU State House of Assembly. We had to engage widely to weigh our options.
4. We sought for Legal Advise on the subject matter and our lawyers informed us that the 1999 constitution as amended would make it impossible for LP to produce the speaker and deputy speaker
5. The constitutional provisions are as follows:
a. There must be 2/3 elected members present at the inaugural sitting
b. The inaugural sitting must be guided by the provisions of the Rules of the preceding House
6. The preceding House Rules of ENUGU State House of Assembly clearly states that “the speaker and deputy speaker must be chosen amongst oldest ranking members elected into the House “.
7. This makes it impossible for LP to produce the speaker and deputy speaker. However as the majority party in the House, LP would produce other leaders of the house including Majority Leader , Chief Whip and their deputies.
9. Labour Party Enugu State has made the choice of abiding by the rules , while providing positive opposition in the state .
10. None of our members have compromised, none was bribed or influenced to pave way for the outcome of this inaugral sitting of the House . We are committed to the mandate freely given to us by the people of ENUGU State.
11. We are also very hopeful to reclaim our governorship mandate which was brazenly, stolen through the judiciary .
We hereby call on our teaming supporters and members to keep faith and remain law abiding.
Forward Ever , Backwards Never
Dr Mcginger Ibeneme MBBS
Spokesperson/ Media Director
Labour Party Enugu State