Gas fire stopped on its own after 21 days – Caritas University


The management of the Caritas University Enugu campus has said the gas fire which lasted 23 days on its premises stopped on its own.

The Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the institution, Professor Micheal Orji who spoke during a press conference in Enugu, explained that despite the heat around the perimeters of the site of the burning well, no life was lost.

He said the fire started following a decision by the school to sink a borehole after they decided they had a need for more sources of water in the school.

He explained that while the borehole constant began drilling for water, after about 2000 feet the well began to emit gas and then two days later fire broke out from the well which defied all efforts employed to put it off until after 21 days when it went off on its own.

He said “The University needed water so we did a survey to have a borehole dug. We contracted it out to a company to come to drill the borehole. On Sunday 22 May, they started the drilling and on Tuesday while they dug to about 2000 feet they had to pull put the pipe because gas had started coming out from the well.

“The drillers were afraid that there might be a fire outbreak as a result of the gas emission so they contacted us and we, in turn, invited the fire service who stood on as the drillers pulled out their pipes.

“The next day as we continued to make contact with relevant agencies, that was when a fire erupted from the gas emission. That was when we intensified our calls to the Governor, and other relevant agencies to inform them that there was a problem at hand.

“They all responded, the Governor came visiting with all the relevant agencies and we held a series of meetings on how to put off the fire.

“We started brainstorming on how to put off the fire and the way forward to tackle the emission.

“The meetings were centred on how the fire will be put off. Several attempts were made by various agencies of government and even professionals contracted by the school to put off the fires but all attempts failed as the fire continued to burn.

“The fire eventually went off on its own, an incident the school has decided to tag as a miraculous feat, though the scientist may come up with an explanation which we await soon.

“But it is worthy of note that on our part the light went off on its own after several efforts to put it off. We say that God in His infinite mercy helped us put off the fire.

“A very important point to note is that throughout these 21 days the fire kept burning the tie was no causality of any sort has no one was hurt or injured. Also when the fire went off the gas also stopped emitting at the same time.

“A look at the well as inspected by the relevant agencies it was so dry that no gas was found inside it. These are the issues I must emphasise.

“I also want to thank all the agencies involved most profoundly for their efforts throughout the period. And the Governor of the state for the synergy in helping us through the period.”