Attacks on Okupe aimed at Obi – LP

0
191

The Presidential Campaign Council for the Labour Party says any attack on Doyin Okupe as the Campaign Council’s Director-General is an attack on the party’s flagbearer, Mr Peter Obi.

Dr Yunusa Tanko, the Presidential Campaign Council’s spokesman, said at a news conference in Kaduna that as far as the party and the presidential council are concerned, Mr Okupe remains the Peter Obi Campaign Director-General.

He also urged the attention of the party loyalists to disregard attempts to cause a crisis in the party by some sponsored elements, saying the party leadership had already dismissed the sacking of Doyin Okupe as he remained a bonafide member of the LP, the Daily Trust reports.

It was reported that Doyin Okupe was sacked alongside 10 others for alleged non-financial membership status, high-handedness, and financial recklessness by the Ogun State Chapter of the party on Thursday.

Dr Tanko said that those who claimed to have sacked the Director-General lacked the power to do so because they were not the ones that appointed him. He further stated that the attack and purported sacking of Okupe from the party were aimed at their presidential candidate, Chief Peter Obi.

“We want the party members to be steadfast and consistent and believe that this is part of an onslaught against us.

“They have made attempts to go after us several times; they denied us the use of their stadium in some states, and now they are attacking us internally within the party.

“We are fighting to rescue Nigeria, and Peter Obi is our driver, and all attempts to de-market him will not work as God will make him more popular,” he said.

He alleged that those sponsored elements trying to cause a crisis in the party will not succeed.

Dr Tanko called on the party loyalists both in Ogun and Nigeria at large to disregard the purported sack, saying it will not hold water as Doyin Okupe will remain the DG until after the election next year.